Thursday, December 17, 2009

Fireplace-DIY



As you know, I love almost everything about my house. However, I have not loved my fireplace. So thankful to have one...but it is just so big, plain, and dark. When we moved in Jerel promised me that I would have a mantle by Christmas. Our dilemma was whether or not to paint the brick, or cover it with sheetrock, but something had to happen to brighten up the room. And then we had to decide if we wanted a shelf or wrap around mantle. I wanted to whitewash the brick and Jerel finally conceded, even though he really didn't want to! :) We went to a salvage yard and found a old mantle that had been ripped out of another house. It had about 100 layers of OLD paint on it that was really cracked, so we had to strip it down to the raw wood and start over. My sweet husband spent many hours sanding and figuring out how to mount it onto the brick. I am really pleased with the outcome...just in time!!

UGLY


Decorated...and really crooked. Apparently I need to learn to stand straight

4 comments:

Maggie Pelton said...

It looks awesome. I love the big mantle. It's beautiful!

Hank and Anna Uzzell said...

love it! ya'll did a great job!

Rachel @ Moments With My Miracles said...

That looks great!!!

Redheaded Adventures said...

I like the decorated version - the whole house looks great after y'alls amazing touch - especially the cute kids! Miss you - hope you enjoy that fireplace in the next few days while you are snowed in!