Friday, August 27, 2010

First Date

This week Nolan and I went on our first date. He had an orientation at school to meet his new teacher. I think Ms. Pam is going to be a great fit for him. He will be going two morning a week and we are SO ready! I really think that I am going to flourish as a mom of school-aged children. I honestly look forward to being as involved in their schools as I can be. Just a few more years! :)

Self-portrait before we headed out the door. This was my 4th attempt and by this point I was getting frustrated and sweaty! It was a real dilemma of whether to post a picture where I look good but Nolan has a mouth full of food, or to go with a really cute one of him and a rather shiny one of me. He won out!! This is about him, right?? :)

So, after orientation I took him to Dunkin' Donuts for his first ever doughnut and some fun coffee. The child is obsessed with coffee. It take total responsibility for that- I never quite gave up my own addiction while pregnant. He comes by it honestly! Anyway, I had really low expectations because he generally won't try new foods- even sugary treats. He did great though. I let him pick out the one he wanted- with frosting and sprinkles of course. At first he wouldn't touch it- so it sat on the table and he licked the fun stuff off.

Eventually he did pick it up. Victory!! If your child does not have texture issues you need to thank the Good Lord above!!! It is a challenge to say the least but we continue to make small steps in the right direction!

After DD we headed to the library to pick out some new books. I have to be honest, I have still not mastered the art of the library with him. Usually I am trying to look at books (and there are some really strange juvenile books out there I might add!!!) and he is running laps while laughing loudly between the different aisles. Yep, I am apparently THAT mom!! I try to threaten and regain control, but I am afraid to admit that I have- up to this point- lost the battle. I think I need a new library strategy.

All in all it was a great morning with my big two and a half year old! I love when I get to really focus on just him and am looking forward to many more dates!

2 comments:

The Buczkowski Blog said...

Sarah,
You don't know me, but I know Gerald from growing up at Mitchell Road.. ANyway i just wanted you to know you are not alone in trying to figure out how to control children in the library.. I am still trying to figure it out as well..or anywhere in public for that matter. It is really hard to find that balance.

Rachel @ Moments With My Miracles said...

EK is the same way at the Library so I'm sad to say that I just don't go that often. She has even gotten in trouble from one of the librarians who also gave me the death look:)! So glad Nolan will start school! I'm sure he and you will love it!