Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Dying to Self

Confession: I don't really like messes. I mean, I can handle some clutter, but I just don't love being messy. I have never been one to plunge my hands into the dirt. And I don't even want to talk about sand- I hate sand. So, needless to say I don't actually love when my children are covered in food. I am fairly sure I am part of the reason Nolan is OCD. I just never let him get really messy. However, with Elliott I don't have time to stay on top of his every move and he DOES NOT want me to feed him. So, lunch time looks like this...

Look at those chubby, filthy hands :)


 The real problem is the cleaning up process- it's everywhere and takes forever!

So, lets talk about his jacked up chipped tooth. Sadly, he fell at preschool on the gym floor, and for the next 5-6 years, this is what his sweet smile will look like. He already had a cute gappy grin, and now it's gappy, crooked, and broken. I have to confess that when it first happened the ugliness of my heart really showed up. I was afraid that kids would eventually make fun of him, that people would not think him cute anymore, blah, blah, blah. One- a little chip could not take away the cuteness of this baby- mostly because he has the loveliest, sweetest, spunkiest, determined soul. And two- 1 Samuel 16:7 says "The Lord does not look at the things that the man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearances, but the Lord looks at the heart." Enough said. :)



"I don't want to talk about it Mama!" :)


2 comments:

Dana and Chris Sheheane said...

This WHOLE post is my life...and i miss you friend...and we need to talk! Claire is SO messy and wells hates being dirty. i'll text you a pic of claire tonight eating spaghetti! ANd you know how i felt when she got her glasses. now i can't picture her without them. and I promise if you wouldn't have mentioned the tooth, i never would have noticed. love u:)

Maggie Pelton said...

Way to go on letting him get dirty! His precious chipped tooth just adds to his personality.