Thursday, November 10, 2011

Christmas Picture Fail

I have decided that taking the "perfect" family photo for the Christmas card -when you have a two and three year old- is not for the faint of heart. My mom came in town for a few days so I figured I would have her take the picture. Easy breezy, right? Not really.

First, because it's the first day of day light savings you have to figure out the best time for lighting. Second, you have to coordinate outfits so that everyone goes together without being matchy- matchy.  Third, you have to get everyone up from their rest/naps, and get them into said attire. Then you have to drive 20 minutes out to Furman University because you know it's really pretty and have gone there with the professional photographer a few times (which just doesn't fit into the budget this year) so you think you know all the hot spots. Finally, you need to REMEMBER YOUR CAMERA BATTERY that is sitting on the charger at home!!! Ugh, so frustrating. Everyone (Jerel) was very kind and not irritated with me at all. I discovered that I have my very old and pathetic point and shoot in my purse, so we thought- what the heck. Maybe we will get the magical photo with this sad camera. Que laughter! The battery on that camera is shot and only takes a few photos and dies. So, here are the highlights!




I did learn a few things during this failure of a trip.
1) I didn't like the boys in their vests- just didn't work
2) My photographer Susan should charge more for all the babies and families she photographs
3) If we didn't take a Christmas card photo, it would save me time and money in the end.

So, I was ready to quit the whole thing, but my sweet husband encouraged me to try again. We went back out last night- took 140 pictures and I feel good about two of them...


I am sure that I can make one of these work. Any votes?

In other news- we had my sweet friend Anna and her family stay with us over the weekend. They were in town for a wedding. I love when worlds collide like that. We were in China together and now she lives in Virginia. I didn't get a picture of us- but how dang cute is her son???



My boys loved having Henry here. He is non stop and full of fun!

Also, I finally took N & E for a haircut. This was Elliott's first cut- so it had to be documented! He did great and looks like such a little man now!





Ok- that should about cover it for now! Congrats if you stayed though the whole thing!

12 comments:

Betsy said...

i love the family photos! good re-try. i decided to take the kids photos myself this year--in the backyard the other day. C and W were cooperative. Anna not so much. So she only gets a profile shot on the christmas card. oh well.

Rachel @ Moments With My Miracles said...

I like the 2nd pic!!!!

A fly on the wall said...

OHHH my word!!! You poor thing! But those were SERIOUSLY worth the wait!!!! I am absolutely LOVING both!!!!! So gorgeous!! And such a beautiful family!!!

Emily said...

Okay, this so sounds like my misadventures . . . minus TWO gorgeous family shots at the closing of the day. I really don't know which to vote! Either way, I could just eat those two boys right up!

Emily said...

Paul votes the first one.

Teresa said...

2nd one!

Amanda said...

Just wait my friend, I would love to tell you it gets better...but I'm afraid "boys" get worse about pictures as they get older! I don't think I have the energy to even ask James to take Christmas card photo with me this year.

I love the very first one with Nolan's tongue out and Elliot looking like he's gonna make a run for it! Of the 2nd try - I like the 1st one best.

Love you, Miss you!
Amanda

Robyn Kown and Dana Sheheane said...

my vote is the first one but they are both great!! and i laughed through the whole email. I could hear you saying every bit of that :). we did the save the money thing too. just wait until you get ours! we decided just a small family shot on the back of the card (if anyone cares to look ) is good! And girl...you look hot. really, you look dang good! :)

Redheaded Adventures said...

Love the pics - I think the very first is great and both of the others are fabulous - you look great in all of them! Elliott is growing up too fast

Hank and Anna Uzzell said...

love both, but my fav is the first! We LOVED being with ya'll! Thank you so much for sending the hat back:)

Sarah Jones said...

I LOVE the Christmas pictures. I actually like the mess ups the best :) They are so dang cute!

Sarah Jones said...

PS. I love your outfit in the first, the flannel. Looks like you showered that day :) Beautiful!