Friday, February 19, 2010

Ms. Karen


Nine months ago we began the process of getting Nolan help for his eating/texture issues. There is a program in South Carolina called Baby Net- that if you qualify, they will pay for everything that insurance will not cover in the realms of occupational and speech therapy. When we were applying to be qualified for OT he also tested fairly delayed with speech. At the time I wasn't too concerned about his delay but figured if it was free and the therapist would come to my house- then bring it on. I am so so so thankful that we did because Nolan ended up becoming more and more delayed. He had his therapist, Ms. Karen totally stumped. He wouldn't/ couldn't imitate most sounds and just seemed stuck by the whole process. She tried a lot of different approaches and finally around Christmas he began to say "mama" and "dada". It was so exciting. Since then he has progressed quickly and we were working towards him regularly putting two words together at a time. The other day Nolan came out of his room and said very clearly "I want a cookie" and I thought, yep, we are done with speech. That day Karen said that he has met all his goals and was done. YEA!! He loves Ms. Karen and we will miss her but are so glad that he is age appropriate. Now if we could just graduate OT, but I have a feeling that we are in that for the long haul!!!


3 comments:

Maggie Pelton said...

Yay Nolan!!! So excited that your little man has caught up to speed!

Anonymous said...

Yahoo for Nolan and a very Happy Birthday to him today! I hope he is saying "I want cake"

Lots of birthday hugs from me to Nolan!

Brenda

Redheaded Adventures said...

Yippee! SO glad he is doing so well - I love little Elliott on the counter in the back of the pic just hangning out and happy!