Monday, June 25, 2012

Lion King

A year ago we had decided that we wanted to take Nolan to the Lion King when it came to Greenville. We figured- he will be 4 1/2 and will have most likely outgrown most of his irrational fears of things like Little Einsteins and Bob the Builder. Fast forward to current day, and my sweet boy is no more brave than he was a year ago and still runs out of the room when Spud from Bob the Builder comes on. I didn't know what to do because the tickets were expensive and I really wanted to enjoy the show. I had been praying about this for months and thinking through other people we could take instead of him. Jerel, on the other hand, was never worried about it and kept reassuring me that Nolan was going to be just fine. A couple weeks ago Nolan saw a billboard for the Lion King and said "Mom, that's the Lion King and it's playing down town". I never know where this kid picks these things up. I told him that we had been thinking about taking him but he would have to be really brave and would have to sit still for a very long time. I also told him that I wasn't sure he could do it- you know, in a reverse psychology type of way! ;) He reassured me 1,000 times that he could do it and that he was very brave. I never committed out loud to him, but knew that if he was determined he could totally do it. We borrowed the soundtrack from a friend and he listened to it non stop for a week.

Saturday we told him we were taking him down town without Elliott for a date. We still hadn't told him what we were doing.

As we walked up to the Peace Center he said, "Look, the Loin King is here!!". I asked him if he wanted to stand in front of the sign for a picture.




Then we started walking inside and he asked us where we were going. I love this age where they still can't put all the pieces together. Then Jerel told him that we were taking him inside to see the show.


I don't think that he really understood, but since the kid has never been to a movie, let alone a Broadway show, he didn't have much context. Never the less, he was excited.


He excitedly awaited the show to begin and I prayed that he wouldn't freak out!! He did such an amazing job and was totally into the first act. There were a couple times that he was literally shaking because something scared him and he cried when Mufasa was killed but was totally enthralled and I loved when he clapped at the end of the scenes. Once we got to intermission he told me that he really like it but didn't want to see the rest! :) I told him too bad- he would love it. And he did.


As soon as it was over he asked when we could see it again. I told him it would be awhile! We had so much fun with him and I really hope it's one of those things that he will be old enough to remember.

4 comments:

Rachel @ Moments With My Miracles said...

So glad he made it through!!! Wasn't it amazing???

Brenda said...

What fun! When we face our fears head on, pray and have mommy's hand to hold, we can move overcome everything! I'm sure he'll never forget that afternoon : )

Hank and Anna Uzzell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hank and Anna Uzzell said...

ya'll are awesome, sarah! so glad he made it through. What a great memory!